Image Map

May 16, 2010

I May Need a Packing Intervention

It is no secret to any of you that I tend to be wordy.  

I see it as a gift. 

I believe only a divine God would form and make me to take 20 minutes to complain tell a story to the hubs about finding an empty cream cheese container in the fridge after toasting my bagel to complete perfection and then having to scrape the sides of the cream cheese container with the bagel, completely robbing me of the afterglow I achieve after eating something that quite possibly will OD me on carbs.

And I truly am nearing my point.

So in the midst of throwing every conceivable thing NOT NAILED DOWN into a box, I have found that a novel length explanation is necessary for each box as I label it.  Like the origin and history of the item, where it will go in the new house, where it was in the old house, how many molecules comprise the particular object.  And yet not one person or friend bats an eye to the fact that it takes longer for me to label the box than to pack it.

And it does not help that I feel guilt ridden that I am packing magazines. 
From 2005.  
This may require an intervention of some sort but I assure you that I still refer back to them.  Often.  For recipes. Crafty goodness. Various tips. If I use them for fashion sense 20 years from now, I will understand your alarm.  And I do know what I am supposed to do.  A good organizer keeps an idea notebook (and I do) and takes out what she needs.  But I always wonder what if there is something in here I need but I don't know that I need it? And I always discover there is something I do need.  So I keep them.  I promise there are not 6 foot towers of magazines with a pathway cut out to navigate through the house. Really.

Can I sidebar here?  This post was something I envisioned in 2 sentences.  I believe I am physically unable to to wrote a short post.  I marvel at these Wordless Wednesday posts.  I would have to sneak something in there.  An adjective. An explanation point!  Or a :o).  Something.  I would have to give my two cents.

So I shall digress to my point. I packed magazines. To move with. And I believe angels from heaven whose specific purpose is to hedge around the intentional pack rat bestowed upon me a gift catered for me.

A box to fit the magazine holders to organize my useless collection of them.  When I fit  them in there I actually basked in such a beautiful moment. I just rested on my heels in utter awe of the moment.  Here it is...


Do you see how worn some of those pages are?  See?  I use them?  Call me a Green Magazine Hoarder.  I am good with the title.  But I am not good with the ever present guilt for the servant hearted human being who will endeavor to lift this box and possibly incur a hernia due to my apparent need to collect what should be trash.

So I wrote yet another note on a box to this unsuspecting friend...

I am convinced this will be the balm that will neutralize their fury.  
Wait.  
I am going to go back and write:

P.S.  Remember to bend at the knees!

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!!! Oh yes, there were quite extensive lists and notes on all my boxes when I moved, too. And quite a few eye rolls. Of course, I also had them organized into piles. Momma's house (where we were staying for a few weeks), storage, and to have a garage sale once we moved because there was no time before. I moved stuff I intended to sell. That's way worse than magazines you use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I can't believe that *this* is the post that moves me to comment, but I can SO relate! My poor husband moved a box and dated it every time we moved (4 times over 10 years!) I finally got around to unpacking it last summer and found that it was full of old Martha Stewart Living magazines from 1997! I was so embarrassed that I had to throw them all out! Here's hoping that you get more use out of your magazines than I did! :0) Happy packing, and I wish you the best with your move.

    I have enjoyed following your blog these past few months. I look to you for inspiration, and hope that I can one day be as organized as you are... Thanks for putting your story out there! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was such a fun post. I love the note. I hope it's not me who has to pick up that box!! By the way, what are the moving plans? Maybe instead of asking these questions on your blog, I will call you tomorrow?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't do a two sentence post either! I have tried, and tried. I can't even do a two sentence comment on someone else's post. See. Hope the packing goes well, and I wish to be as organized and together as you are one day! I do love the note, and I totally agree that anyone who is not moved by your note while lifting the so heavy box is such a sad and grumpy person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, you are hilarious! And, maybe more so since I will not be hefting any of your boxes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My. Word. Or, should I say, Oh. My. LOTS OF WORDS. All of a sudden, I can't wait to help you move. I will read every box I lift. This is going to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can so relate to you! When we made our "big" move half-way across the country 5 yrs ago, I had a detailed inventory list of every single box. In fact, I still have that list because it was such a work of art, I could not throw it away! Of course I also had "special" boxes for my scrapbooking albums and supplies and they were not allowed on our moving truck, but kept in a car we towed. I so get you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You didn't...you packed magazines!!! You crazy girl! I need to come down there & help you NOT pack stuff :) No I am terrible...I toss too much & then I end up buying it again.

    Thinking of you with your move! Wish I lived closer so I could help...you know...send my husband over or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you sure we are not related because I am seriously thinking we are? No, seriously!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!